We are incredibly excited to see all the smiles and excitement tomorrow morning! As the school year begins, we will be implementing the district’s Wellness Policy which will affect how we celebrate birthdays and special events around school. If you have traditionally sent in treats with your child, please be aware that sugary foods such as cupcakes will no longer be allowed. We know how meaningful birthdays are and we still look forward to celebrating with you child. Your child’s teacher can discuss alternative options with you specifically, but below you will find several suggestions of non-food or healthy alternatives:
Birthdays and Holidays Without Food
- Allow extra recess time instead of classroom party time. Birthday students can lead an active game for everyone.
- Have dance parties. Birthday students can lead and pick out the music.
- Instead of candy-filled birthday or holiday bags, have party bags with non-edible items (trinkets, school supplies such as colored pencils, erasers, markers, bookmarks, stickers, etc.).
- Play special active party games. Birthday students can lead.
- Read a book related to the party theme. Parents can purchase a book for the classroom or check one out from the school library in their child’s name for their birthday and come to school to read the book.
Healthy Food and Beverage Ideas
- Air popped popcorn (without the butter) or non-salted baked pretzels.
- Beverages: water, 100% fruit juice with no added sweeteners, fruit smoothies.
- Fig bars, granola bars, or fruit muffins.
- Fresh fruit assortments (fruit kabobs, fruit salads).
- Fruit sundae bar party with fresh fruit, low-fat yogurt or sorbet, and granola.
- Trail mix party (pretzels, dried fruit, whole grain low-sugar cereals, sunflower or sesame seeds, nuts).
- Vegetable trays with low-fat dip or hummus.
- Whole grain tortilla chips and salsa or bean dip.
- Whole grain pita chips, bread or crackers with low-fat spreads and cheese or hummus.
For more information regarding the standards that our Wellness policy, click HERE.
If you have further questions or concerns, please reach out to the main office via phone or email email@example.com.