Dear Adams Community,
Every school year is unique and comes with many opportunities. As we begin to celebrate the success of our current academic year, it is also time for us to welcome new staff members to our Adams Team.
Here are our staffing updates and changes for 2017-2018:
- Behrens will move from his current role as a classroom teacher and become our PE teacher.
- Sussman will be teaching first grade.
- Muir will be our enrichment specialist. This is a new and exciting position for Adams. She will coordinate classroom project-based and service learning opportunities for students.
- Rathja will be adding the role of instructional coach. This will expand her time as ELD teacher to help with instructional planning and coaching for supporting our language learners.
- At the end of this school year, we will be saying goodbye to Mr. Phillips, Ms. Stone and Ms. Hawkins who will all be moving on to new roles/schools within our school district.
Due to these shifts, we are welcoming some new members to our staff:
Riley McGuire will be joining the Adams Staff as a third grade teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. Ms. McGuire has a Bachelor of Arts in Education and Human Development/Family Studies from Oregon State University. Ms. McGuire has also completed requirements for her ESOL endorsement. This school year, Ms. McGuire has student taught in a first grade classroom at Adams with Mrs. McShane. Prior to her student teaching at Adams, Ms. McGuire worked as the lead kindergarten teacher for the Boys and Girls Club as well as a gymnastic supervisor for KidSpirit. During her time at OSU she spent a summer in Boston where she worked as a camp counselor through Camp Adventure.
Samuel “Hawk” Dykes will join the Adams Staff as a third grade teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. He has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology from Berry College in Georgia and a Master of Arts in Elementary Teaching from Western Governors University. Mr. Dykes has worked at Adams School as an Educational Assistant since 2014 where he assisted in Special Education and coordinated the afterschool club program. Prior to living in Oregon, Mr. Dykes worked as a mental health case worker in Georgia. After moving to Oregon, Mr. Dykes was part of New Vision Wilderness where helped create and implement therapeutic interventions and educational activities with youth in the wilderness.
Betsy Wilhelm will join the Adams Staff as a kindergarten teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. Ms. Wilhelm comes to Adams from the West Linn-Wilsonville School District where she has taught kindergarten since 2014. Prior to teaching kindergarten, Ms. Wilhelm has taught first, second and third grades during her career as an educator. Ms. Wilhelm holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education from George Fox University and Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from Concordia University. Ms. Wilhelm also holds a Reading Endorsement and ESOL teaching endorsement. This summer, Ms. Wilhelm will become Mrs. Joos and will be relocating to Corvallis.
Please join us in welcoming these new members to our Adams Community and congratulating our current staff members on their new roles!